A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away when I started with openvz I followed this tutorial for Debian template creation. Now I am adapting it (using my own experience and this template-squeeze tutorial too) to Qemu/KVM disk images than later can be used directly or via libvirt.
This procedure tries to generalize the template. While working with disk cloned images many elements need to be “generalized” before capturing and deploying a disk image to multiple computers. Some of these elements include:
- ssh keys
The more “generalized” is a template, the less manual work is needed after deploying it.
This method must work in others virtualization systems: vmware, virtualbox, etc. As it is “virtualizator/hypervisor/emulator independent” as it is focused only in the disk image.
Continue reading →
Since I started learning puppet several weeks ago I wanted to install the client and the server in the same host but using several aliases for the same machine. But there are several funny error related to puppet master and client sharing the same ssl directory: SSL certificate confusion, obscure errors, and SSL revocation horrors.
I took the main ideas from Splitting puppetd from puppetmaster from madduck‘s blog. But using this method you don’t have to create 2 differents ssl directories. Both installations (client and server) will share the same directory. I think it’s easier to implement and maintain.
The golden rule is to create all the SSL stuff (CA, keys, certificates,etc) in the right moment. And you may ask… When is the right moment? After the file /etc/puppet/puppet.conf is created with the certname directive properly updated. As by default puppet create all the SSL stuff using the hostname instead of the alias you want.
This tutorial assume you are using Debian (but should work on its derivatives: Ubuntu, Mint, etc) and have one server with two aliases replying to the same host (via /etc/hosts or DNS) In my case: puppet (server) and mediacenter (client).
Last week I finally finished the migration from my old 1.0.15 Joomla installation to the new shiny 3.2.1 WordPress. I had in mind to migrate to the new 1.5.X Joomla series but there was not an easy one-click upgrade tool as there was so many core differences between version and some manual work had to be done. That was the reason to study other options.
Finally I decided to move on with WordPress and with the help of Misterpah‘s Mambo Importer plug-in at least half of the work was already done. 🙂 Although some manual work has to be done (recreating path’s, images, etc) 🙁
Special thanks to Misterpah for sharing his knowledge and time!
P.S.: Starting from today all (or at least almost) news posts/pages will be written in English.