Sometimes you have to deal with servers that you don’t know anything about:
- You are a short temp IT consultant with not previous knowledge on the environment.
- The CMDB is out of order.
- You are on a DR situation.
- Or simply the main administrator is not there.
And you need:
- Run commands in parallel
- Get info from many servers at a time
- Troubleshoot DNS problems
- Check how many servers are up and running
On my systems I use two orchestrators: MCollective and SaltStack (configured automatically using puppet) that fulfill my needs. But let’s see a quick way to have an orchestrator in a rapid manner.