Recently I have changed my backup solution from SpiderOak to Tresorit. I have been very happy with SpiderOak since I started with them around 2009, But last year backups and sync started to fail. Eg: backups taking ages or not finishing at all, etc. Also support response time was not good enough and didn’t find a proper fix for my problems, so finally I decided to move my business elsewhere. The chosen one was Tresorit, a Swiss based company that offered two things important for me de-duplication and client side encryption.
Both solutions works in Linux but Tresorit needs a GUI to work (SpiderOak support a headless mode). This was a problem as I wanted to run the Tresorit client in a headless VPS servers. To add a kind of pseudo headless support to the Tresorit client I decided to use the Xpra software a multi-platform (Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac) screen and application forwarding system or as they say in the web page “screen for X11”.
Continue reading →
Since 2005 I have hosted this web page in the Cpanel based Bluehost company. First with Joomla and recently migrated to WordPress.
Bluehost allows to download a daily, weekly and monthly backup from your Cpanel control panel, but manual intervention is needed:
- Logon in the control panel
- Navigate to the backup page
- Perform the backup
- Download it to your local computer.
This is a manually/time consuming task and of course you should not forget it!!
In this post I gonna show my automatic method to backup files and databases using:
- Crontab for automatic backups.
- Public/private keys for passwordless ssh connections.
- Rsync command for synchronizing directories between remote and local servers. This way bandwidth is reduced as if a file has already been copied to the local server no data transfer is needed.
- Mysqldump for dumping the MySQL databases to a local file.
- SpiderOak for data deduplication and remote backup.
Some previous knowledge is needed to understand how it works, anyway there are some useful links to understand it. 🙂
Continue reading →